Sunday, 25 September 2011

Conkers

My brother and I went conker picking today! And we got loads!



For those of you who don't know what conkers are, they are officially called Horse Chestnuts, and are inedible to humans, but possibly edible to horses? As kids, we used to have conker competitions. We'd spend weeks finding, prepping, and then drilling a hole through our prized conker to thread a shoelace through it. Then we would compete with other fanatics to see who's conker was the hardest, biggest and finest. None of this pokemon business when I were a wee lass!


As a bigger and infinitely crazy lass, I just like the look and feel of conkers. They have a glossy and smooth coat, with patterns on it that look like rings of bark on a tree. They come in all shapes and sizes, from trees that are very recognisable. I like how they are like shiney orbs of discovery. You find the spikey shell that's fallen from the tree, and inside you get this magical brown object which, even if you didn't subject it to competitions, were triumphant in their own way.


I might have to save my conker hoard for my pet project that I should be starting in January... stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)