Tuesday, 24 January 2012

The Amazing Mrs Beeton :)

My Dad had a random day off today so we went to explore some of his favourite places: antique shops! :) It was a miserable day today, but I really wanted to get out of the house, so the antique centers were perfect! Not only that, I found a book I've been looking for for ages! A Mrs Beeton! It's not the "Book of Household Management", but it's almost just as good:


For those of you who have no idea who Mrs Beeton is then allow me to explain a little. Mrs Beeton was a British lady from the Victorian time that wrote a book that taught ladies how to become domesticated and middle classy. It was a guide to everything from health issues to removing weird stains, keeping your accounts to how to dress for afternoon tea. It was an amazing book, a ground-breaking book if you will.

I've read some of the original book free on my Kindle app, and fell in love with it, so you can imagine how excited I was to find a Mrs Beeton book! It's like a little bit of history inbetween my little fingers! :)

Look at the illustrations!

That, in the middle, is a salad. Salads don't look like that nowadays!

And of course, look what Mrs Beeton can teach me:

Cake! :)

I think that I might have to try out some of these recipes soon. I'll keep you posted about how they go. I'm really quite excited! 

Oh, and as a wonderful side point: Mrs Beeton gives some advice about children in the introduction to this book, and it just says that children need to skip, jump and dance. Hahaa. Makes me happy. I may have to reference Mrs Beeton in my dissertation! :) Yay! :) Yay for antique shops. And yay for Mrs Beeton! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)