Tuesday, 28 February 2012

A Tiny Piece of Adventure Playground History

My post last week about my visit to 3 awesome adventure playgrounds was so popular, that I thought I would share a little something with you. In amongst the unknown objects of a local scrapstore, I found a very rare and very awesome book:


Now, I mentioned Bob Hughes yesterday. He's written lots of things to do with playwork, his best (in my opinion) is his recent book - Evolutionary Playwork 2nd edition. Although it's the second edition, it actually feels nothing like the first edition, and is so jam packed full of awesomeness, it amazes me every time I look at it. As a playworker myself, I constantly refer to this book for best practice, and just for a point of reference for so many aspects of playwork. It's a wonderful book.

But back to the little red book! This book (or what Dad called "tiny booklet") was published in 1975 and only a very small number of them were produced. It's only a small book - big enough for playworkers to stick in their pockets when they're working on site. I think it's a marvellous little thing, written with adventure playground playworkers in mind, and very much a moment in history in regards to the playwork scene in the UK.

I took a couple of snapshots from inside:



Isn't it awesome? Most awesome of all, I feel like I own a little bit of history. This is a little bit like the Mrs Beeton that I acquired a few weeks ago, but better! I will make sure I look after this one properly and see that it becomes a useful tool as well as a preserved treasure.

Hoorah for playwork, and hoorah for playwork literature! :)

2 comments:

  1. It is awesome, I have a signed copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally should have taken mine to the conference to get it signed by Bob. Maybe next time! :) Thanks for popping by the blog! :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)