Thursday, 2 August 2012

Right To Play

Has anyone in the UK seen these posters around? I've seen them at least 3 or 4 times, but they're only up for like, 2 weeks and then they disappear. I guess I was pretty lucky to take this photo:

I have to say, I was pretty impressed when I first saw it. From far away, all you see is the words "Right to play" and for a playworker, that's like a call to arms!

I came home and did some Googling. Right To Play have wonderful intentions: "to create a healthier and safer world through the power of sport and play." It's wonderful that there's a good focus on play too, but is it the sporty side of play? I don't really know.

So while I'm pretty enthused that there are posters around that promote the right to play, it's still not the freely chosen stuff that us playworkers are used to talking about. But, I hasten to add, it's a step in the right direction. In the uni project I did with Andy Andy & Co, we talked at length about how to introduce play into different epistomologies, so this is one way. I do wonder if Right To Play has any playworkers working for them. More research needed.

On the back of PlayDay2012 yesterday, I wished that there was more advertising for play to make it more popular. But then again. is that against the playworking ethos because play is an intrinsically motivated thing and shouldn't really be advertised? Hmm. It's a puzzler. More thought needed.

Anyway, the usual hoorah for play, and a big hoorah for playworkers! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)