Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Trick or Treat!

As I wait for my next trick or treater, I thought I'd share some of my Halloween photos with you. People over here in the US have decorations everywhere.
 
This I saw in NYC. Rather realistic looking rats. Eeeek!

Here was a pretty enthusiastic house in Boston. There were loads more things sticking out from other places too.

This house I found in Rochester. Yes, this is the decorations from one house. I was astounded. I actually couldn't step back far enough to get it all on the photo! Most of the inflatables were 6 feet tall!

Here's a closer look at some of the inflatables. Absolutely crazy! I like the Frankenstein!

And here's Phil and me, waiting to answer the door to all the trick or treaters. There are lots! So far, I think I've seen over 40 children! And it's only half 7!

Now, I don't personally celebrate witches, ghouls, evil and spooky things, but I think that Halloween is a nice event where children have to learn about courage (to knock on the door of a stranger), self control (not to eat all the candy) and creativity (to dream up their own costumes). So Halloween could constitute as play, or if not, it's a rite of passage for children. Maybe. I never did it as a child, but I can imagine it being really exciting, and really quite memorable.

I'm also really glad that the rain and wind stopped this morning to give way for a dry evening. My thoughts go out to all the children nearer the coast who aren't having such a great halloween.

So I guess I'm saying hoorah for halloween, and hoorah for the making of childhood memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)