Sunday, 12 May 2013

Piano

I play the piano. I tend to keep it quiet because I'm not very dedicated to it. But it was a huge part of my life for about 12 years from when I was about 5 years old. But then uni kicked in, and who has time for all-consuming (and forced) hobbies of piano playing when you're at uni? Especially when I was at uni for around 40 hours a week, not including travel! I simply didn't have time any more.

Every-so-often though, I do get an itch to play. I'd sit for an hour or so and bash out a few familiar tunes and mess about with ideas that fester quietly at the back of my mind, inspired by the radio.

Today was one of those days.

131/365 - Zan plays piano :)

I fell in love with Joe Hisaishi and Studio Ghibli's music all over again today. Mysterious and haunting, but absolutely beautiful - that's what the music's like.

It was nice and relaxing to have a moment on the piano again. It reminded me of the hours I put into it in the past, but also made me realise how much more I appreciate the skills I have right now, compared to when I was a teenager. I wish I had more time to re-develop the finger dexterity I once had. The longer I don't play, the more squishy my fingers are becoming, which is sad cos I don't want my fingers to go squishy. It was good to play again though. Back when I was at the height of my piano playing at around 18 years old, I remember thinking how the piano was like an extension of my fingers. I didn't need to look at the keys to get the notes I needed, a bit like typing, and the effect was quite magical when everything fell into place. I had a moment of peace and complete contentment.

Hoorah for pianos, and hoorah for a moment of musical play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)