Tuesday, 23 July 2013

Confirmation of Registration

Today was a big day for me: I had my Confirmation of Registration. Now, this sounds ridiculously poncy and posh, but in reality, it was a meeting with a couple of other experienced researchers and talking to them, on an informal level about how best to improve, alter, or expand your research. But I tell you what? It was intense. We had an hour to talk about my PhD and all the attention was on me. It was uncomfortable, but I think I did okay. I received a lot of good feedback, good constructive criticism, and great suggestions for making my research better and stronger. I was even praised once or twice.

The C of R is something that only Leeds Met seems to do. It's a process that every PhD candidate is required to go through in order to proceed in the course. I think that it should be named something else, but I have a feeling that they're onto something. Being made to present my ideas to people who have no idea about what you do? Probably genius, when I sieve through the bag of nerves.

It was a frightening experience, but I think that I'm coming out of the Confirmation of Registration a little wiser and a little more confident. It was good to hear from people who aren't playworkers that I actually have good ideas, and that I have something worth studying. Yes, there are lots of things I need to think about, alter, and look into, but in reality, I think that the C of R is a good process within the PhD, giving me time to reflect and re-jig my ideas.

And I'm jolly glad that Fraser was there to watch my back. :)

Here is a slightly related but not entirely useful photo from my day:

201/365 - Zan takes a moment to take in the day.

I think I had a good day today. I also had a lovely meal with my friend and fellow playworker Andy, whom I hope will be joining me on my PhD adventure soon.

Anyway, off to let the thoughts roam free in my head. They've been tangled up a in a mess of complication. Time to unwind and restore order. Goodnight! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)