Wednesday, 28 August 2013

My New Pet :)

My sister and brother-in-law bought me Paul Hollywood's Bread book for my birthday. It arrived in the post and I was very excited but I've only just round to using it today. And which recipe did I decide to start with? Starter dough! :)

240/365 - Zan gets acquainted with new pet.

Starter dough is used for making sourdough bread. Having pretty much mastering the white bread, I wanted to try making sourdough bread, but you can't really make it without the starter dough. Paul Hollywood recommended that I use grapes to start the dough, but I only had an apple, so I'm using that! :) I'm very excited because a starter dough needs to be looked after and needs feeding every few days, so it's like I have a new pet! :) Apparently you can put your pet yeast in a yeast hotel, where they look after it while you're on holiday or something. It's pretty funny really, so I wanted to try.

Here's a shot of my pet yeast with the bread book. I drew a line on the jar to show me how tall my yeast was when I started, yay! :)

I'm hoping that in a few days I'll have a starter dough that I can use to make a really cool loaf. I'm excited about my new baking adventures! :) Now I have a new pet, and new project ideas! Hoorah! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)