Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Play. And Two Pears.

Not every day presents itself with big elaborate play opportunities. As adults, we often find that our day is cluttered with responsibilities and expectations that take up our time and headspace. As a PhD student that's managing a young charity, and making a living through retail and photography, I can tell you that my life is pretty cluttered. I don't necessarily have time for the really exciting play moments, but I still play.

But I know it's important for me to take time out to do something my own way every day. It helps me to understand my own emotions and set myself straight. It give me a chance to control a part of my day that is otherwise out of my control. It unravels me from my ball of anxiety, and soothes my insides.

As a playworker, it's not always easy for me to balance that out. We spend our days in a state of action, fighting for what we know is essential for children - play. But do we play? I have a few great playworker friends who passionate love their community and their children, but they look sad and tired. They invest so much time, love and sanity into their fight for children's right to play that sometimes, they forget to think about themselves: they forget to play.

When I started the blog, I wanted it to be a way for my friends and family to keep track of me. But as time progressed, I started to document my playful life. I started to document a life of play so that I could demonstrate that we can have a playful life, nomatter how busy it gets. I wanted to show the life of a playful playworker. I'm not saying I'm the best cos I play the most, I'm also not saying that my life is perfect, but I am definitely saying that nomatter how busy, how crazy, how depressing or how challenging life can get, you can still take a moment out to play.

And today? Just a photo. A pair of pears. That's how I chose to play today.

222/365 - Zan takes a photo of tiny tiny pears.

Keeping this blog alive isn't as easy as you might think. I don't always feel like playing - we adults have been almost programmed not to play - but I do anyway. Because I know that when I come out the other side, when I've been through the play process and I've satisfied those innate needs to play, I will feel much better.

I want to encourage, inspire and/or challenge each of you who read this to play. I know it's not easy, and I know it doesn't always feel natural, but you need it. I promise. It doesn't have to be every day, but it has to be regular. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, and it doesn't have to be for long, but it does have to be yours. Find some time to play today. I promise you that it's good for you :)

And a message to one of my closest, play-advocating, fortune-cookie-believing, antiquity-hunting friend - this'll stop you going crazy. I promise. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)