Thursday, 12 September 2013

"Feed the birds, tuppence a bag"

One of the many great childhood films I watched was Mary Poppins. I loved that film! It gave me insight to a world of flying, singing, chimney sweeping people, and later on in life made me realise I'd had a head start with learning about the Suffragette movement, street artists, and the difference between poverty and affluence in London. But the important thing of course is that I still remember every single song. From Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, to a Spoon Full of Sugar, from I Love to Laugh to Chim-Chimeree, Chim-Chimeree, Chim Chim Charoo.

Today, as I wandered around the Pennines, I came across a moment in reality that reminded me of a fictional scene from Mary Poppins:

251/365 - Zan pauses to watch for a moment.
This gentleman was very quietly and calmly feeding these birds with a bag of seeds. He didn't seem to flinch when the pigeons flew near his face, nor did he seem to mind the squabbling ducks. There were soo many birds around him though, and he just seemed to be lost in a reverie of peace has he spread the seeds out. I watched in fascination as he emptied the bag, and then he silently got up and wandered off.

This made me think of the song "Feed the birds" from Mary Poppins. The pigeon lady in the park was always very lonely, but always very happy feeding the birds and singing her song. A bit like the man I saw today. He seemed totally at ease with the world as he fed the birds.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you. Oh and one more pic:

I visit this guy every time I visit this part of the Pennines. I don't think he has a name, but in my head, I call him Jeff.

I had a nice time wandering around the Pennines today. It gave me time and space to think through a few things, which I'm happy to note have just gradually resolved themselves. Tomorrow will be a fun trip to Leeds with a couple of meetings as well. Should be a productive day. Woohoo! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)