Thursday, 5 September 2013

The Quietness of Play

My friend Lesley, who sent me a box of goodies yesterday, recently wrote a blogpost about the quietness of play. I've been thinking about this. Not all play is loud and boisterous, nor is it active and crazy. Sometimes play is a hushed note behind the noise; the whisper through the laughter. And I don't think that it is documented or recognised as much as the run-around, spin-upside-down, kinda play that we seem to label play. But I want to give it mention :)

I've had a very loud day today. It was full of customers vying for my attention, and angry words from impatient gamers. I spent a lot of my day on my feet moving quickly (but not always elegantly) in all directions, moving, tidying, locating and sorting. So when I got home, all I wanted to do was something quiet let off my usual after-work buzz:

244/365 - Zan does some knitting, quietly.

Thinking about quietness of play reminds me of a particular photo that I took.

This photo was taken towards the end of a very busy play day at Wyke Children's and Community Center. Despite the activity around him, this little boy carefully takes a small cup of hot chocolate and a jacket potato into a hidden-away tree house and enjoys a quiet moment of self-reflection.

I love the rhythm of play. There are peaks and troughs, highs and lows. And almost certainly noisy and quiet, in equal measure. Just because you can't hear children playing, doesn't mean they're not playing. :) Hoorah for play, even when it's quiet... :)

2 comments:

  1. That's a really beautiful photograph.

    I'd never really given much thought to the fact that play can be quiet... So very true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hayley :) I love that pic too :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)