Friday, 4 October 2013

Zan's Cake Recipe :)

I really really wanted cake today. I looked at the clock and realised I had exactly 1 hour which is the perfect amount of time required for cake to be made, with enough time left over to cool before eating/taking places. I went to it immediately!

While I baked, I realised it was about time that shared my recipe. It's a simple cake mixture with a lovely twist, which my mum taught me, and which taught to her by an elderly neighbour who used to teach me English when I was a kid.


Zan's Cupcake Recipe 
Makes about 12 cupcakes or 24 fairy cakes
Takes about 20 minutes to prepare, and 20 minutes to bake.

Ingredients
4oz margarine spread (I usually use Stork, but you can use softened butter too)
4oz caster sugar (sometimes I only use 3oz if don't want to overload on the sugar)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 eggs
4oz self-raising flour
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1) Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 or 220C, and place your cupcake/fairy cake cases into their temporary tray homes.

2) Cream the margarine and sugar together with a wooden spoon until it turns from bright yellow to pale yellow, almost white. The texture will become fluffier.

3) Add the vanilla essence and mix again. It'll smell delicious now.

4) Now add one egg to the mixture and mix until incorporated. Then add the second egg. Don't worry if it doesn't quite mix in (or looks curdled). Sometimes it just does that.

5) Now using a metal spoon, stir in the flour. It won't seem to mix at first but take your time with it. And it'll become nice and thick.

6) Finally add your lemon juice. The mixture will take on a lovely sheen, and will give your cake a lift once it is done. For some reason the lemon makes it smell extra delicious!

7) Divide into your cases and bake for around 20 minutes. They are ready when they start turning golden brown around the edges. You can also test the cake by sticking a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it come out with nothing stuck to it, then it's time to take them out of the oven.

8) As soon as you can touch them, move the cakes from the baking tray to a cooling rack and resist eating for about 15 minutes until they cool. They develop this lovely slightly crisp top if you give them a few minutes to stand, so it's worth it. Or just scoff them as soon as you can touch them. Either or. ;)

Extra) You can give your cake extra lemony goodness by adding the zest of half a lemon. Sometimes I even give myself a treat and add one tbsp of cocoa powder in with the flour and then 1 tbsp instant coffee (mixed with 2 tbsp hot water then cooled) in right at the end instead of lemon. So yummy!

277/365 - Zan delights in the magic of cakery.

I have to admit that within 10 minutes of these bad boys coming out of the oven, I'd already eaten 2. But it was totally worth almost burning a finger for it. NOM NOM NOM. So much happy!

If you ever get round to using my recipe, I'd love to hear from you! :) In the meantime, I'll carry on baking, and enjoying the cake awesomeness! Hoorah! :)

3 comments:

  1. Great blog! Im ur fan by the way! R

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in game today, fink u was there too. I like way u r always positive in life, if only u cud teach me a thing or 2 :). R

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)