Sunday, 10 August 2014

GBBO 2014 - Cake Week

In the run up to the start of this year's Great British Bake Off, I was really excited. I've been looking forward to it sooo much that I almost wrote it in my diary when I found out the date of the first episode! Hahaha! It wasn't until breathing a sigh of joy after watching the show, that it had occurred to me that I too could be part of the the Great British Bake Off, triggered completely by my friend Shazia's status update:
"GBBO! Within the next week I will bake a Swiss roll!"
What I have decided to do is pick one of the three challenges from each episode, and bake it before the next episode. I reckon that that's a fair challenge, and a fun way to regularly do some baking! So the first week was cake week and featured Swiss Roll, Cherry Cake and 36 identical mini British classic cakes. Since the parental unit are uniformly unsuited to eating large amount of tiny cakes, I had to choose from the other two cakes. The cherry cake looked huge and again, I didn't have it in me to eat the whole thing myself so Swiss Roll it would be! Here it is:

This is a plain swiss roll with strawberry jam - the simplest that you can make a swiss roll!

This bake was actually a team bake. I decided to whisk the batter by hand and, well, after about 15 minutes my arms were screaming at me. My parents came over to take their turns with the mixture, all the while laughing at how silly our left hands were at whisking. It took us about an hour to reach white an fluffy peaks. Oops. Nonetheless we got there and 10 minutes later - voila! A small Swiss roll! Hoorah! 

I think it was over baked by like a few seconds, so the outside cracked just a tiny bit. The texture of the sponge was lovely and I was really very pleased! Hoorah for swiss roll awesomeness!

Of course next time we'll make sure we'll get the electric whisk out. I coulda made about 3 in the time it took to hand whisk that bad boy up. Now I know! :)

Anyway, looking forward to next week's bake! Hoorah! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)