Friday, 22 August 2014

Travel Play Cues

When I burst through a crowd of passengers and into a seat on my train today, I was greeted by a playful little arrangement:

These are Czech Koruna, arranged playfully on the train table I was sat at.

This got me thinking. I wonder why these peeps left these coins here? Maybe they were at the end of their holiday and didn't want to carry the change around. Maybe this was the winnings of an unfortunate bet. Maybe someone got bored on a train and was playing with the change in their pocket. Or maybe they were left behind in case someone else had a better use for them.

This also got me thinking. If a child comes across these coins, will they take a moment to enjoy them as loose parts? Or if an adult sits down, will they arrange it into a new formation for the next person to come along? Will this inadvertently become a tiny moment of play, with it's own play history?

This got me thinking more. If an object of little monetary value, but of high play value was deliberately left on the train, how would it be used? Would it be disregarded by the adults as pointless, or will it get interacted with? Will children be allowed to play with the item as they go on their journey? How will they use the items? How will their adults react? What would happen?

I want to find out some of the answers to these questions. I think it's time for Zan to do some undercover research. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I really think I will, Lesley. The idea of some play AND being undercover really appeals to me. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)