Saturday, 20 September 2014

A Good Day to Gather

Over the last few weeks or so, I think that my parents have finally settled into our new house. It's taken a long time for them to feel right at home here, especially because there has been building work to complete and a blank canvas to fill. When they started inviting people home to eat with us, it signaled to me that they are finally comfortable with what they have, and so this is the beginning of many gatherings, and great memories.

Today, we had another one of these gatherings where I was able to meet and chat with people from Mum and Dad's church. Over lunch consisting of mostly British finger food, we laughed and chatted and it was very nice:

I made a nice cheese and broccoli quiche - very thin pastry and no soggy bottom, hoorah!

I also made some raisin scones - they were also a hit, especially with the clotted cream.

A lovely little spread here - fruit, crisps, sandwiches, and oh - we hadn't got the vol au vents out yet!

There was a lot of different people at my house today, but most striking of all, an inwardly-young but outwardly-old lady called Clare. She took a particular shine to me and told me a lot of things about herself, and there was a brief moment where I was reminded of repetitive conversations I used to have with my Uncle. Clare is going through bereavement so when talking to her, I talked about Uncle too. I could see that her uncomplicated mind was trying to wrap around the complexity of death, but knowing that she believes in heaven made me happy. She told me that her mum has sent angels down to look after. I can totally believe that too.

Day 5 - I have to be thankful for:
  • My family - for Mum and Dad, and what they have done for me, and for my siblings.
  • My extended family - all of the brothers and sisters in Christ that I have, that I have met, and I have yet to meet.
  • My peeps - people around me that I know and love, that enrich my life, and who are closer to me than just a friend: they're my people.
And that concludes my thankfulness challenge. (I'll just carry on being thankful on here without needing to be told to! ;) ) And now, time for a bit of knitting, and a bit of TV. Hoorah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)