Tuesday, 23 September 2014

GBBO 2014 - Pastry Week

As I sat quietly having my tea last night, I suddenly realised that I hadn't done my Bake Off challenge for the week yet. There was no panic because there was still plenty of time, so today, I got my ingredients together and attempted last week's technical challenge, the Kouign Amann (said a little bit like "queen-a-man") - a French pastry.

Having seen the bakers do it on TV I roughly knew where I was going with this bake, but gosh it was a long process. It's a bit like making puff pastry but with yeast in it and a final sprinkling of sugar before the bake. But I had never made puff pastry before either so it was all quite an adventure. Here's how it turned out:

This is a kouign amann. I'm gonna say that this looks even prettier than the ones Paul Hollywood made.

Aren't they lovely? They're kinda like croissants but even more delightful because it has a crispy and sweet on the outside and millions of light and airy layers inside.

I'm really really pleased with this bake - I had no idea what I was doing except for the initial bread dough mixture so everything else was new. And it took ages because you have to stick it in the fridge every few minutes. The results are a delight, and I'm pretty sure I'll be baking this one again. I reckon this would be an excellent party addition, or just amazing with a cuppa tea half way through the afternoon. Oh my. Heavenly! 

Anyway, it's probably time for me to put those delicacies away and stop thinking about having another. Hmm, my breakfast is going to be amazing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)