Monday, 1 September 2014

GBBO 2014 - Dessert Week (and a pizza)

My Mum was out for tea tonight so me and my Dad had a small huddle to decide what to have for tea. After much discussion, we settled on pizza and because of my Dad's sensitive diet, I decided to make him a healthy one from scratch:

This is our square pizza. It is topped with mozzarella, olives, parma ham and figs.
It is 4:1 white to wholemeal flour.

The crust on the pizza was really good - nice and crispy but soft in the middle. The topping was a great combo and it was nom nom nom! :)

I'm really pleased with the pizza because I haven't made one for ages. I think the last time I made one was in the old house for my 29th! I'm also pretty chuffed that I managed to work some wholemeal into the recipe too - it'll help my Dad's diet overall, and I'm pretty sure it's the reason why the crust was so nice. I'll have to try it a few more times! :)

And of course, we come to the Great British Bake Off portion of the week. The programme this week featured puddings, the signature challenge was specifically a "self-saucing pudding". Now I have to admit that I had no idea what that was until the challenge on TV was over, and even when searching online for a decent recipe I still had no idea what was going on. Nonetheless, I finally chose a recipe, and went with it. Here's how it turned out:

Here's my Black Forest Self-Saucing Pudding. It has morello cherries and kirsch in it - first time I've baked with them!

And hey presto - a sauce! I still don't really understand the chemistry behind it, but I'm not knocking it because it works!

My Dad couldn't resist having a taste of this miraculous pudding (he had 2 spoonfuls and I monitored him for an hour and he seemed fine). The sponge part reminds me of the texture of a sticky toffee pudding, which the kirsch in the chocolate sauce gave it a nice edge. The pudding portion itself seemed pretty small but was actually really very rich and waaay too much for one person. Maybe next time I'll make smaller ones. :) There will absolutely be a next time too - this pudding was pretty awesome! :) A nice addition to my Bake Off repertoire! :)

All in all, tonight's meal was pretty awesome if I do say so myself. Dad was pleased, I was stuffed, everyone was happy, and that's the way I like it. Hoorah! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)