Friday, 6 February 2015

The Other Side of Uni

So up until now, I have been a student at uni. I've always been on the receiving end of information, being marked and assessed as the pupil rather than the teacher. Today, thanks to my friend and fellow PhD student David Stonehouse, I was invited to speak at Edge Hill University as a guest lecturer! Now that is a sentence I never thought I would say!

David invited me to talk about Pop-Up Adventure Play, and our global perspectives on playwork. This is something I know and love, and I was really excited to be talking about it!

I was pretty nervous about this, but for some reason, I felt grounded and solid, instead of being filled with butterflies. I guess it really helps to have delivered workshops day in, day out with Morgan while we were roadtripping around the US.

I ran the lecture as I would with a Pop-Up workshop - bit of talking, bit of playing, bit of question and answer time, and lots of stories. Some of the students looked engaged throughout: others messed with their phones a lot. Well, I guess it happens! It also seems to happen to me that I fiddle with the loose parts when I'm talking, and I may have accidentally thrown a loose part at one of the phone-wielding students and caught them by surprise. Needless to say, there was no more phone usage after that! Haha.

This is one of the things that two of the students made during the play time. I wanted to show this image because these two girls looked livid when I said that they needed to get up and play, and then one of them sat there stabbing a box for a while. It was only after about 20 minutes did they really open up and get it, and they started playing. They explained too, that it felt weird to be allowed time to play, and they had no idea how. It took them that time to find the courage to get up and do something! This, by the way, is a Vodka Bar.

It was a long Friday afternoon, but when I finished, it felt really good. The sun was giving a spectacular spectrum in the sky, and I smiled to myself because I know that I did well today. I don't know that anyone learned anything, but I think I communicated my thoughts well, and David was pleased with the lecture, so I guess everything is good! Yay! I'm feeling proud of myself for going solo on this, and I'm excited for the next opportunity! Hoorah for new challenges! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)