Friday, 17 April 2015

A Pootle Around Portico Library

Did you know that there is a tiny but beautiful library on the top floor on the Bank Restaurant building on Mosley Street in central Manchester? Neither did I! It wasn't until my lovely college friends Lee and Ric said "go round the side and press the buzzer" did even know where the front door was! And it's a beautiful little place!

It's an old library, filled with super old books, and right in the middle of it, you can have a cup of tea in the grand surroundings. It had a lovely stained glass domed ceiling and books from floor to ceiling making the initial impression on entry, magnificent. With two wooden reception desks built in and manned, this place makes you feel like you've gone back in time and into a land when books were treasured.

I couldn't take many good photos because there was a little exhibition going on which blocked the view of some of the books, but here are a couple:

Here is one of the two clocks. It took me a little while to realise that this wasn't actually a clock. The arrow kept pointing at different directions so unless the building was spinning, I reckon that this monitored the wind. Who knows!

Here is the other clock. This is on the polite literature wall. I wonder what polite literature is!

And here we are outside the library. This is a funny photo :)

I didn't spend too much time with Lee and Ric today - we just happened to all be in Manchester at the same time so I thought I'd drop in and say hello. It was good to see them, and also triply exciting because I'll be seeing them tomorrow and Sunday too! Yaaay! More blogposts to come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)