Sunday, 9 August 2015

GBBO 2015 - Cake Week

Yes indeed, it is time for the Great British Bake Off and my friends and I are hoping to do one bake a week following the theme of each program in this series, just like we did last year! The first week is always cake week so I selected madeira cake as my first bake. 

So this is very similar to my usual cakes except for it having a tighter structure and lemon zest running through it. It also has a higher rise due to the increased amount of flour in it, so the cake "cracks" on the surface when it's ready. I used this recipe for my madeira, but skipped the syrup and frosting to allow for the 'rentals and their special dietary needs. Here's what my madeira looked like:
 
There it is, my citrus madeira that has lemon and orange zest in it. It has quite an impressive crack!

And sliced through it is impressive too! Nice a pale inside with a good brown outside. Yaaay! :)

This tasted lovely, nice and fresh! The outside was a little crispy too so contrasted nicely with the soft inside. I think I'll gladly make this type of sponge again! :) Mum and Dad approved too because it's not a very sweet cake. Thumbs up all round I think!

So there we go - week 1 of Great British Bake Off 2015. Who knows what the coming week will bring. And I have visitors from afar who might help me too! Stay tuned! :)

2 comments:

  1. Oooo...exciting. Looking forward to week 2, already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! So fun to be baking along! :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)