Sunday, 6 September 2015

GBBO 2015 - Alternative Ingredients Week

I am getting ready to head down south on a whirlwind trip to meet family and pick up Morgan! But just before I go, I really wanted to fit in my Bake Off bake, so here we are! This week was alternative ingredients week, and I was curious about how it would play out. Challenge 1 was sugar free cake, challenge 2 was gluten free pita bread and the final challenge was dairy free ice cream. I went with the first challenge because I was pushed for time and couldn't explore as much as I wanted.

I chose a date and walnut loaf cake because I've never tried using dates in a cake before as the sweetener. Here's what it looked like:

It was quite brown because of the date mixture but I was pretty pleased with the look of it when it came out.

The texture was quite closed, but I was impressed at how moist it was, and how cakey it felt.

Using dates as the sweetener was really interesting, and something I'd like to really experiment with. I think there's a lot of potential for it, in terms of flavour combinations, and I hope that I will be able to bake more stuff for the rentals.

I was pleased with the outcome of this bake - it was pretty tasty considering there was barely any butter in it, and no sugar. My dad was pleased, so I am happy. Everyone wins :) Haha.

Now, to focus my energy on the drive ahead, and a few very busy days. Hoorah for baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)