Monday, 21 September 2015

GBBO 2015 - Victorian Week

I sit in my room, happily stuffed from an evening of excellent food supplied, in part, by my Bake Off attempt of this week. It was Victorian week, where participants were asked to bake stuff based on old Victorian recipes. I chose to do the pie, but I had no fancy pie tin so I decided to go for 2 hand raised pies. It was supposed to be full of game meat which I couldn't find anywhere (in the 2 supermarkets I visited) so I went with lamb, some venison sausages and some pancetta. Finally, it had to be highly decorated, so I tried my best. Here are the results:

Here is one of my pies, decorated like a sunflower.

Here is the other, decorated with leaves.

Here they are, fresh out of the oven, cooling down for a Morgan and I to feast upon!

The pastry was lovely - hot water crust which was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The filling was tasty too - all the flavours smooshed together but it was good! Morgan and I shared one together with sprout tops from the market and beetroots from the garden. We have one saved for a lovely lunch later this week too, which will be something food to look forward to! It was a fun bake that wasn't entirely like the Bake Off challenge, but was enough of a challenge for me! Next time, I reckon I'll have to borrow a decorative pie mould for and locate some game at the market!

This is a busy week, but I should be able to blog about it, so check back again soon! :) Not long until my next adventure and there's lots to sort out before I go! Eeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)