Friday, 29 January 2016

Hanging Out with Little People

I am back home having hung out with my little niece in Oxford, and then my little nephew in London. They are both growing up so fast, and it made me feel very warm and fuzzy to be watching them develop, and to know that I am part of their lives. I feel so blessed!

Here are some of the photos of me hanging out with my nephew:

Here we are. For some reason, both my niece and nephew love my camera strap, so they stop looking at the camera and stare at the strap instead!

There's my little nephew, enjoying his chair. He's very happy in this pic, look at his happy little face.

Aww, here he is, rattling something or other. He looks like he's trying to show me something. He is a very thoughtful baby.

And here's the little fella, unsure about this independent sitting up malarkey. Shortly after this photo he folded in half, forwards. Aww, such a little cutie! I'm sure the next time we meet, he'll be sitting with confidence!

It was great to see my sister and brother-in-law in London. They're both super busy, and I guess that bringing a small person into the world really does literally rock your entire being to the core. I'm beginning to realise that even though there are important things to be doing with the completely dependent little person, we have to remember to take a moment out for ourselves whenever we can. This is the same in play too. When we are at our delivering our workshops for Pop-Up, Morgan always uses the example of the oxygen mask on the plane - you have to put your mask on before you put anyone else's on. We have to first have enough time at play to truly support the play of children. I can see this ringing true for being a parent. To be of the most use to your little person, we have to do what we can to be the best person we can be too, and that occasionally means we have to take a short break. We can respond to their needs better then. I hope that in going to visit my sister and sister-in-law, I can help out with my niece and nephew more and then give them a chance to be human adults again. Even if it's just a moment, I'm guessing it's feels like relief. I don't know for sure, but I'm going to try and give them a break whenever I can anyway.

I had a lovely time seeing everyone over the last few days. I think I'll have to organise another trip in March! We'll have to see! Hoorah for my little niece and nephew, and hoorah for my new parent siblings - you're doing a wonderful job! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)