Sunday, 25 September 2016

Bake Off 2016 - Pastry Week

For Pastry week, I had the choice between Danish breakfast pastries, a bakewell tart and filo pastry amuse bouche (fancy, tiny, pre-starters). I was tempted by the Danish pastries because I'd never made any before, but I also had noone to eat them at home in such quantities so I decided to go with the filo pastries instead. The bakers on the show had to make a sweet and savoury batch so I did too, just not very many of them. Here are my attempts:

This was my sweet amuse bouche - Banana, Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Parcels (aka Everything I Had In The Cupboard). 

Just as a size reference, yes they were very little and very yummy. My dad approved of the favour combo, weird as it is.

Here is one of my Mushroom and Bacon Cups. I'm particularly proud of the shape of these. A blob of foil inside a fairy cake tin made me that shape!

They looked like flowers in the end which I really enjoyed. Flowers filled with creamy mushroom and topped with bacon? Absolutely delicious.

The pastry turned out crispy and nice. Had the parcels not sat around for a couple of hours (we weren't ready to eat them yet) I bet they would have been awesome too. A note for later in regards to pre-filled filo products is that you want them to be eaten basically immediately after baking to retain their crispiness.

Halfway through making the filo, I realised I had done the right thing by trying out this brand new pastry in a very small quantity. It was quite fiddly, but if any of you folks out there are wrapped a wonton before, it's basically as thin as that pastry (maybe thinner) but for some reason it wasn't as hard as I thought to handle. I really enjoyed making this pastry so I will try it again in the future. Hoorah for more baking adventures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting zanplay.blogspot.com. Please leave a message if you have time :)